Pages

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

I resign to let selectors groom future leader - Sanga

article_image
by Rex Clementine
Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara says he quit the captaincy of the national cricket team so that national selectors could groom another player for the next World Cup. Sangakkara (33) told the media yesterday that he’s quitting as captain from ODI and T-20 cricket with immediate effect, but will be available to lead the side for the Test series against England and Australia, if the selectors require his services.

"The reason to quit as captain was taken before the World Cup although I announce it today. I had a long chat with Mr. Aravinda de Silva, the Chairman of Selectors, three weeks before the World Cup. We decided not to make any formal announcement. Whether we had gone out of the first round of the World Cup or gone all the way in the tournament, I had had decided this was the ideal time for me to go," Sangakkara, the third Sri Lankan to lead the side to a World Cup final, said.

"Murali and Mahela knew about what I was going to do. I discussed it with Murali long before I had a chat with Aravinda. I have shared it with my team-mates as well. They understand why this decision has been made," Sangakkara added.
Read more

"If you look at our side, a lot of younger players have stood up and now it’s their time. Had I stayed in the job for another year, I don’t think the freshness would have been there. I don’t think there’s a vacuum created by me stepping down. There are a lot of candidates to take over captaincy. There’s Dilshan, Mathews, Malinga and Upul Tharanga. There are lots of prospects. They take a lot of pride in representing the county.

There will be a new coach as well and I think it’s right time to move on," Sangakkara added.

Sangakkara said since making his decision to quit public, there had been mixed reactions.

"A lot of people have shown support. Some understand and some say I should have stayed on. As a cricket playing country, this is the time we need to plan for future. Not in another year’s time. When a World Cup comes to an end, I think the leadership needs to change."

Asked about the highlight of his career as captain, Sangakkara said brining in so many younger players was something that he cherished. "I have been there before in a World Cup final as vice-captain. Getting there as captain was great. Beating Australia in Australia last year was sensational, but more than anything, the greatest satisfaction is getting so many youngsters in."

When asked who the captains he looked up to were, Sangakkara said: "I have lot of respect for Arjuna. He has always been on the top. I have learned a lot from guys like Mahela, Marvan, Hashan and Sanath. M. S. Dhoni, the Indian captain has been a great inspiration as well."
The Island