Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The singing nun


article_image
by Avantika Bhuyan

The Kathmandu Post/ ANN

Her voice is like a balm for the soul. It calms the tempestuous storms within. Her deep, sonorous voice, as she chants traditional Tibetan mantras, washes over you in waves. Ani Choying Dolma can’t remember a time when music wasn’t part of her life. Lovingly nicknamed the ‘Singing Nun’ by her fans from across the globe, she was brought into the limelight in 1994 by musician Steve Tibbets after he heard her sing at Nepal’s Nagi Gompa monastery. From then on, the world has been her stage-Ani has recorded more than 10 albums since and performed in Brazil, China, Singapore, Russia, France and the US.

Her petite frame belies the strength within. She says she has changed a lot from the young girl who was battered by her father to a confident young woman who doesn’t shrink from taking tough decisions. Ani admits that when she joined the monastery to escape her father’s daily beatings, she was like a wild young colt, ready to fight at the slightest provocation. "There was so much negativity and arrogance within me. Slowly, I transformed under the guidance of my guru, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. I became more humble," says Ani, who performed in Delhi recently.
Read more

Ani’s path to musical stardom hasn’t been easy. She faced severe criticism from other Buddhist monks who berated her for singing traditional mantras publicly. For advice, she turned to her guru, who told her that music is all-powerful and benefits all those who listen. Her biggest challenge in life has been learning how to forgive. And now that she has achieved that, one can sense this calm contentment about her. "As my emotional age has grown, I have less curiosity about life," she says.

Though Ani’s parents came to Nepal from Tibet, she doesn’t consider herself a refugee. She doesn’t know much of the life back home, as her parents never talked about it much. "My two younger brothers and I were born in Nepal and I consider myself an integral part of this country," she asserts. Her voice assumes a steely tone while talking about the status of women across the world. "Women are capable of bigger and better things than simply cooking and cleaning. In my family too, my brothers were given special treatment. I also wanted to play, run around and have new toys," she says.

What she really enjoys are movies that celebrate woman power. For her, small things like a woman running a shop or a young girl standing up for herself are acts of liberation. She herself started driving at a time when very few women were seen behind the wheel. For her, that was a way of asserting her independence. "As a kid, I had an ignorant desire to beat up boys. Thank God that’s subsided now. My sole ambition was to be the next Bruce Lee. I was even teased as Bruce Lee’s sister," she laughs.

Ani has devoted her life to bringing nuns out of their shadows. Under the monastery’s tutelage, she realised that injustices were taking place in her own backyard. Buddhist nuns weren’t given access to higher academic studies like the monks were. In 2000, Ani decided to take matters into her own hand and started the Arya Tara School. Its mission was to fully develop and realise the potential of each nun so that she could serve the community in a professional and humanitarian way. "When I first performed in the US in 1998, I said to myself, ‘Now that you make money, it’s time to realise a long-cherished dream’," she remembers.

Ani’s time spent in school has added a new dimension to her life. It has made her rejoice even more in what she does. Ani’s voice has a way of speaking directly to you; it feels as if the song will take away all the despair and sadness in your life. This actually happened to a gentleman in France, suffering from Parkinson’s. For four years, he had never spent a moment without shaking. But his shaking stopped while he was at Ani’s concert. "The most beautiful comment ever came from a 17-year-old boy in Nepal. He said that he had been a bad boy. He did drugs, got into fights, and he didn’t study. But when he heard me sing, something changed. He got out of his bad habits and began to study. I told him that you are the only one who can change yourself, but I am glad to be the excuse. It is experiences like these that make me go, like wow... these are the people who add meaning to my life," she reflects.

For the next couple of months, Ani has concerts lined up in Germany and Switzerland and a new album likely to be launched at the end of April. However, the thing that has got her really excited is a Warner Brothers project called Faith United that will feature Ani along with a rabbi, Catholic priest, Sufi artiste and an Indian Classical singer. "I don’t say I have the best voice in the world. But I sing with hope and devotion, without fear," says this talented musician who turned 40 this year. As for her birthday wish, she hopes that she will get to meet Amitabh Bachchan and work with Gulzar someday. "Amitabhji grows more and more attractive with age," she laughs. "As for Gulzar sahib, his style of writing really inspires me and his philosophy is very similar to mine. I simply loved Koi Baat Chale that featured him with Jagjit Singh. I hope that someday he will write for me; fingers crossed till then," smiles Ani.
The Island