Pages

Friday, July 01, 2011

Three friends and a conspiracy

The lion, the king of the forest, rose in the early hours of the morning after a sound sleep in his den. Then he heard the bellow of a bull.
"That is a strange sound," thought the lion, "that cannot be someone I know. Have to go find it out." The lion paced slowly and saw a white bull lying down in pain.
"What are you doing there?" Asked the lion.
"My master, a merchant, has gone to the town leaving me here. I was wounded because one of my legs got stuck in a jungle hole."
"Are you okay now?"
"I'm slowly recovering. But I'm waiting till my merchant master returns to take me to the village."
"I see your problem. So I am going to pardon you. But mind you that I'm the king of the forest."
"I know that quite well. I hope you will help me live here until my master returns."
"That's simple. Be my friend and adviser."

"I'm happy to hear that."
Since then the king of the forest became a thick pal of the bull, who was knowledgeable on quite a lot of matters. The lion sought his advice regularly. But the fox who was closer to the lion did not like this friendship. One day the lion once told the fox: "This strong bull is a wise creature and he lives a simple life. He never harms any other creature of the forest. He eats grass and some selected plants."
Then the lion introduced the fox to the bull. He had recovered by this time. Fox found out that the bull solves most matters in the forest. This was something the fox disliked.
"This is going too far. Who knows he might inform the lion that I'm cunning. If that happens, the lion will definitely get rid of me. I must think of a plan."
The fox was watching at a distance how the lion was seeking advices from the bull. The bull too was steady and helped the lion. One day the fox got a moment of relief to meet the lion at leisure.
more
"Oh Great King," the fox started on, "do you know of an impending disaster which is going to befall all of us?"
"Certainly not."
"Then listen to me carefully. That domestic white bull is planning a conspiracy against you to be the king of the forest."
"Tell me more about it," said the lion.
"I saw a meeting held by the bull yesterday. I was hiding and listening to all what went on. The bull wants to become the king of the forest by either killing you or by trapping you with the help of humans. So be careful. This is warning from your chief minister."
The lion was meditative. But there was a certain degree of explosion within him.
"If this bull tries to kill me, he will be the next king of the forest. So I have to do something to prevent the unmannerly measures."
Leaving the lion to contemplate on administrative matters, the fox went to see the bull. The bull was grazing in an opening space of the forest closer to the road that lay between the forest and village. This used to be the path taken by the villagers to walk. The fox slowly approached the bull.
"Oh great adviser is it possible to give me a hearing?" I want to confide you with one major issue that concerns you."
"What's that?" Asked the bull.
"The lion is now trying to kill you."
"Why?"
"This is something I cannot tell you in full. But I want you to know that such a thing will happen, if you are not careful."
"I don't believe you," said the bull sharply.
"But I want to inform you before the tragedy happens."
"The lion is a good hearted king. He will not resort to mean activities like killing a close friend."
Then the fox was silently smiling, showing his cunning ways. The bull knew instinctively that there is an impending danger. The bull gave much thought to the matter and was planning to meet the lion. The bull wanted to meet the lion in his own den. But he had to cross the road.
Something strange happened.
The lion too decided to meet the bull in the grassland. On seeing the bull the lion roared and wanted to ask something. The fox was behind a giant tree, watching the scene.
"I want to kill you," Said the lion after the roar.
"Why my lord?"
"You know the reason."
"Honestly I don't know."
"I want to kill you right now.'
"Listen to me," said the bull.
As the lion was about to pounce upon the bull, there arose a loud bellow from the bull.
Right at the moment a merchant and a group of humans came running along the road. The lion ran away to hide himself from the humans.
"We were in search of you Nandi," said the merchant caressing the bull.
They all left the forest. The lion and the fox saw the bull leaving the forest with his colleagues.
 Courtesy by Daily News