Pages

Friday, December 09, 2011

The mice who ate iron

The trader named Dhananjaya rose to the highest level of riches through hard work. In the first instance he was an exemplary character. As he was getting more gold coins, he thought he should relax more comfortably. So he entrusted his dealings to a close relative.

He gradually got addicted to gambling and drinking. His good manners were vanishing. He had to waste his whole wealth to indulge in luxuries. This went on for years. Finally he realized he is becoming poor and all his friends are leaving him one by one.

"Perhaps I should restart my business," he thought. Dhananjaya had a giant pair of iron scales. He used that to weigh the bulk of cotton.

"I'll first pay homage to a sacred shrine," he thought. Then he went to see a friend who knew about his decline.

"I have not seen you for ages," said his trader friend.

"I've become cashless, but I think I have courage to start my trade once again."

"What can I do for you?" Asked the friend.

"Just one thing. I'm going on a pilgrimage. Please keep this pair of scales with you until I come back."

"That's simple."

"Where's your little son?" Dhananjaya asked. He called his son.

"Son, uncle Dhananjaya is here." The little boy came by. Dhananjaya offered some sweetmeats.

"This is for you, son."

'Thank you, uncle."

During the pilgrimage, Dhananjaya could study new methods of business. He observed how other businessmen dealt with their trades. He visited a particular shrine and made a firm vow to lead a better life. Once all the rituals were over, Dhananjaya returned to his friend's house.

"How is the pilgrimage?" Asked the friend.

"Oh it was wonderful. I think I have enough blessings to restart my business. By the way I hope I can have my scales back." The friend looked at Dhananjaya with a sad face.

"Oh I'm sorry to tell you this, Dhananjaya," the friend said, "in this nasty world some unbelievable things happen. You will be surprised to hear about that."

"What are you trying to say?"

"Some giant mice have eaten your iron scales, Dhananjaya."

Dhananjaya knew his friend was up to something. He could not see any apparent reason. Dhananjaya kept silent for a while. He felt he should not get angry with his friend. But at the same time, the friend should learn a lesson too.

"Where is your son?"

The friend called his son. As the little son came out, Dhananjaya said: "I'm happy to see you, son. But I'm so tired. I feel like dipping in the river. Will you join me?"

"Yes, certainly, uncle."

Dhananjaya had the permission from his friend to take his son to the river that flows by the jungle. But he was not in a mood take a dip in the river. He had a different scheme. He took his child to a distant cave.

"Will you stay in this cave, until I come back?" Asked Dhananjaya.

"Yes, uncle how long will you take?"

"I'll be back soon. But don't come out until I come back. Even if your father comes, you are not to come out. Understand?"

"Yes, uncle."

Dhananjaya came back to see his friend.

"Where's my son?" he asked

'Oh my friend, a sad thing happened."

"What is that?"

"Some funny things happen in this world, you see. Your son was waiting on the bank of the river when a giant eagle swooped down and lifted him to the sky and disappeared."

The friend was angry, he knew what happened.

"We must go to courts." Both of them were taken to a judge by an impartial wise man of the area.

"Let me listen to the entire case," Said the judge to each one of them.

"My friend took my son to the river, and now he says a giant eagle had lifted him to the sky and disappeared."

"Can this happen?" Asked the judge with a smile cast on his face.

"I entrusted my scales with him. But my friend says some giant mice have eaten the scale." The judge understood the case well.

He turned to Dhananjaya's friend.

"Will you return the iron scales if your friend brings the child back?"

"Yes my lord." The onlookers had a nice time while the case is going on. There was talk among them: "In a world where mice eat iron, an eagle can lift a little boy to the sky."
Courtesy - Daily News -