Pages

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Grandmas Love: Honoring Our Grandmothers

To My Beautiful Child,

Before you and I came into this world, there was a mother’s love that was waiting for our arrival:

Grandmas love.

Grandmas love is a powerful, patient, unconditional, wise, mother’s love.

One that helps us to remember where we’ve come from and gives us a window for what’s to come.

It is eternal and is handed down the generations.

Her love smells of freshly baked cakes and feels like light kisses on your nose.

Grandmas love has guided daddy and me as we learn to be parents for you.

On Saturday, daddy, you and I visited the grave of your daddy’s grandmother in central Victoria, Australia.

We went with Pop. At age 92, he drove us to the cemetery in his 1989 Toyota Camry which has done all of 114,000 kilometres (70,000 miles) in the 22 years that he has owned it.

Grandma left her physical body from this earth, 4 years ago, two days before our wedding.

Her loss was very sad for daddy. But, rather than being far away from him in her nursing home bed -

She chose instead to be close by in spirit, taking front row seats at our Celebration Day of Love.

“We met at the dance at the Parish Hall,” Pop said as we stood on the patches of green grass around Grandma’s grave.

“I saw this lass. I went up to her. She pointed her finger at me and said, “You’re mine”. I said to her, “You’re mine too.”

Yes, It Was Love At First Sight, Pop gleefully admitted.

As he leaned against his walking stick, mimicking Grandma’s finger pointing, I thought of the less romantic – but coincidentally similar – story of how your daddy and I met in that noisy pub, 60 years later.

Pop and Grandma’s meeting in the Parish Hall in 1942 was no accident.

Neither was the urge I had that night in 2003, to drag my friend out to the pub with me.

My child,

Your life is no accident.

Nor, is the love that Grandma has for your daddy. She was meant to love him. Your daddy was born to be loved.

You have with you, Grandma’s spirit and her love. It matters not, that you haven’t met her in person.

Her mother’s love and grandmas love is with us always.

While our physical bodies change constantly and will eventually die, know that:

A mother’s love through Grandmas Love is permanent and eternal.
A love to be handed down the generations. Strengthened and supported by the previous, undying maternal love of all our mothers and grandmothers before us.

The women who carried us in their wombs.

Birthed us into the world.

Nurtured us with the warmth of their inner sunshine.

And whose mother’s love will be with us always.

Today, I especially acknowledge from my heart, the love of your two grandmothers and two great grandmothers who are still with us on this earth.

I am so grateful for their grandmas love.

Rest In Peace, Grandma Louisa May Bird (1918-2007).

I love you.

Mummy xx
Written by: Lina Nguyen

Mother’s Love Letters © 2011